If it’s your first time in a kayak or on a paddleboard, we’ll give you some brief training before you climb aboard to make sure you know the basic techniques and then you’ll be ready to get out there and practice. Bear in mind that early morning is the best time of day since that’s when the sea is at its calmest and the wind isn’t up yet.
There are individual, double and triple kayaks. Both the double and triple kayaks have a space (free of charge) suitable for a child up to 6 or 7 years old.
From our centre on Riells Beach in L’Escala there are two possible routes for kayaking trips: one heading north, as far as the Greek-Roman ruins of Empúries and the small town of Sant Martí d’Empúries, and one heading first east and then southwards, towards Cala Montgó.
The northern route hugs the coastline of L’Escala, passing by coves and beaches where you can stop off to rest, swim and have a bite to eat at one of the beach snack bars.
The second route captures the spectacular essence of the Costa Brava, with interesting and pretty coves into which you can row, sea conditions permitting. Since there are few sheltered spots where you can stop to rest, this route is more physically demanding. So unless you’re an experienced kayaker it’s advisable to be accompanied by a safety boat .
PADDLE SURF (Stand-Up Paddleboarding)
Stand-up paddleboarding consists of rowing in a standing position on a board similar to a windsurf board. The sport is easy to learn and suitable for everyone. Children and adults can paddleboard on their own or with family and friends. It’s a good all-round exercise since it involves lots of muscle groups and makes you work on balance and proprioception.
If you’re new to paddleboarding, we’ll give you some prior training on basic techniques and some tips. Then you’ll be ready to take to the water and try paddling your first few metres. As we’ve said, it’s a very accessible sport, both physically and technically. It’s best enjoyed first thing in the morning and last thing in the afternoon when the sea conditions are at their best.
Kayak & Paddleboard rental
Per person 15€
Kayak & paddleboard rental
Per person 25€
``COMBI`` Kayak & Paddleboard bundle
Boundle price 115€
- Prices are “per place”, regardless of whether it’s an individual, double or triple kayak.
- Age: From 8 years old (smaller children can occupy a kayak place free of charge, as long as they are accompanied by an adult).
- You need to be able to swim.
- No previous experience necessary.
- Includes: life jacket, kayak/board, paddle, compulsory third-party (CTP) insurance.
- First-party insurance cover is not included.
- What you need to take: swimming costume, plenty of sunscreen (apply a while before the activity). Optionally a water t-shirt for greater comfort.
- We also recommend a sun hat, sunglasses and wetshoes in case you need to step on land at any point